Friday, August 04, 2006

Anthony.

On July 27th my friend Anthony Glass lost his fight with cancer. He had been battling it for a year and doing a hell of a job. To be completely honest his death was kind of a shock to me. I mean I knew he had gotten sick initially, and that he had had surgery and chemo., but I thought it was fight he had won and as far as I was concerned it was history. Then in June I get the news from Molly that he's sick again, and this time he's not gonna make it. He has months. Then I blink, and it's July 29th and I'm attending a memorial service for him.

The service was terribly sad. Anthony was young, handsome, intelligent, warm, unaffected, successful. A man on his way up with limitless potential. And now he's not. How can you not be sad about that. It's hard to see the justice in it. It was a real shitty deal all the way around.

I had an opinion about Anthony. I didn't know him as well as I probably should have (we saw each other at parties, and I was always glad to see him. He was a part of my "Launch friends") and so I always wondered if my opinion was valid. As I sat in the church and then later mingled with others I found out I was right. Everyone was of the same mind. We all had the same opinion.

Anthony was great. With all his talents, with all his charm and ability, it would have been very easy for him to be a dick. But he never was. He was always glad to see you. He was always someone willing to be your friend. Speech after speech would echo the same idea at the service. It wasn't just me. He was loved. Me personally, what I think made him great was the part that opened himself up and let people in. Whoever they were. To be unafraid about this.

I think it's important for me to learn from his example. I think it's important for everyone to learn from his example. That's what I'll take away from my friendship with him. If I feel sorrow over his death, I feel elation in what he has taught me in his life.

If you knew him you should consider yourself lucky. And if you never got a chance to meet him, well you really missed out on something.

No comments: